Re: [Adonthell-devel] English--->German

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] English--->German
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:22:07 +0100

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:25 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:

> hmm the manual is a little bit complicated, but did I understand it right
> that it is a programm for the  linux OS ?
> Because I'm using windows so there is maybe a problem.

No problem. There is a Windows port available.

However, all you really need is a text editor.

> "If you are not familiar with GNU
> gettext let me know and I can give you a rundown how the translation
> process works."
>
> This will be nice ;-)

Download the wastesedge-0.3.5.pot file at

http://translationproject.org/POT-files/wastesedge-0.3.5.pot

Edit this file and add for each sentence the appropriate translation.
The first couple lines would be

#: scripts/dialogues/alek_start.py:10
msgid "That's $name, you ass! I'm working for Lady Silverhair."
msgstr ""

#: scripts/dialogues/alek_start.py:11
msgid ""
"For Lady Silverhair, eh? Now that scares the shit out of me, Half-Elf. Go "
"and bother somebody else!"
msgstr ""

Everything starting with # is a comment. Mostly it says where the
string appears in the source code.
"msgid" contains the original text to translate. Long text is usually
split across multiple lines.
Finally, "msgstr" is where the translation goes. You can put
everything into one line, or split it. Doesn't matter much.

That's all as far as pure translation is concerned. If you want to
test your translation in-game, this is where the gettext tools are
required.

Save the wastesedge-0.3.5.pot as de.po and run

    msgfmt.exe -o wastesedge.mo de.po

This will result in the "wastesedge.mo" file that needs to go into the
game directory. So if you'd install the Waste's Edge package at

http://www.very-clever.com/download/nongnu/adonthell/wastesesge-win32-0.3.4.exe

you need to create the subfolders de/LC_MESSAGES/ under

  wastesedge\games\wastesedge\locale

There are already subfolders for Italian and Dutch you can use as an
example. On a German Windows, it should pick up the German translation
automatically on start. If not, you can force it by editing
adonthell.ini and setting the Locale to "de_DE".

If you'd rather have a graphical tool for doing the translation (more
like the launchpad website), you could try http://www.gted.org/. It's
an Eclipse plugin that doesn't look too bad to me.

If you have more specific questions, please let me know.