Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: demo "map" complete

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: demo "map" complete
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:52:12 -0700

On 7/18/07, Andrew Phillips <address@hidden> wrote:

Here's a new attempt at the file.

Looks good now. If you want to add it, a configuration section for
gamepad controls would probably look like that:

 <Input>
   <a_button>button 0</a_button>
   <b_button>button 1</b_button>
   <c_button>button 2</c_button>
   <d_button>button 3</d_button>
   <move_south>axis 0 back</move_south>
   <move_north>axis 0 fore</move_north>
   <move_west>axis 1 back</move_west>
   <move_east>axis 1 fore</move_east>
 </Input>

However, I don't have a gamepad to test which button results in which
event (and things will most likely differ between gamepads).

Also, I can't remember if we're shooting for a gamepad control scheme that's
useable on  'legacy' pads or not. Should I be thinking about directional
controls, plus A, B, Y, Z, select and start, or an XBox/PS2 controller?

Right now, the event names as defined in src/base/joystick_event.cc
are very generic, much like they are defined by underlying SDL. So it
does not really matter what you chose as things match neither recent
nor legacy pads.

We'll have to live with it for now, but in the long run we'd need a
GUI where the actual actions/movements are listed and players can
press whatever button they want to assign it to an action/movement.
They shouldn't have to edit configuration files by hand.
But for now, if they wanted to, they could at least try it out.