[Adonthell-devel] mac os x port - success stories

From: Nils Hesse
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] mac os x port - success stories
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 01:51:22 +0000

Hi,

I'm new to the list but cirrus convinced me to join. I'm committed to getting adonthell working on mac os x (after all, you've made a windows port so we gotta have a mac port too). But fear not, I will not give up on this, until i see it working... though it may take a while.

Anywayz, I'd like to think I've gotten quite far. I've managed to get it compiled and working... sort of. When I run waste's edge, the intro starts nicely... but there are problems. For some odd reason or another, it won't accept keyboard input (although i can use the arrow keys to start and load games, and also quit at the main menu) I can't define a name, but I can delete the default name. After the intro, all i see is a house roof and some grass... after that i can *nothing*.

Just to give you an overview of what i've done to get it this far (as I'm sure it'll help)....

a) I installed the fink for mac os x distro (basically i kind of debian port, just for mac os x... everything still runs on mac os x but it's a great way of getting unix utilities)

b) from fink, i got myself all the sdl related stuff, python (non-X11 version, so the app works in Aqua) and ogg (although the configure doesn't find it)

c) I ran a ./configure

d) I made a few changes... since OS X doesn't have getopt.h (but it seems to have getopt as a program), I commented out the include statement in prefs.cc for that header.

Thane, in the make file, i had to get rid of the -E option for /usr/local/bin/ld (or was it /usr/bin/ld ?) since it didn't like that.

e) after that make and make install did their stuff. I also compiled waste's edge without any seemingly big problems

f) finally, to make things a little cleaner, I added symbolic links in /sw/bin for /usr/local/bin/adonthell and adonthell-wastesedge

And so it is now... it seems that the problem is either in optget.h or the python interpreter... most likely python as there seems to be a problem with getting keyboard input.

Any ideas? It seems I'm quite close....

Regards,
r:Nilz