[Adonthell-artwork] Wall names revisted

From: James Nash
Subject: [Adonthell-artwork] Wall names revisted
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 20:25:04 +0100

Hi again,

Now that I have the tools up and running, I was going to start breaking up my
Redwyne Inn wall parts into inner & outer parts and them making them into
sprites & mapobjects. While I know that there'll never be a perfect,
all-encompassing naming scheme for these things, the current one (described
here http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Graphics:Models#Walls) has been
bugging me a little. In particular, the use of "top" & "bottom" is confusing in
the context of our 3D engine - in terms of their position in the game world it
should really be "front" and "back" IMHO.

Also, if we split stuff into internal & external halves of walls - not all
pieces make sense any more. For example, the "+" piece in the centre can be
achieved by combining the  4 inner corner parts.

Additionally, I thought it would be neat if the names have the same length so
that they line up nicely in directory listing on the command-line (but then
again, maybe I'm just being anal!).

Anyway, putting it all together I've identified the parts shown in the attached
pic as the minimum set. For each piece, there will be too mapobjects - the
inside half (shown in turquoise) and the outside half (shown in purple). Their
respective filenames would therefore begin with "ins-" or "out-". This is then
followed by 3 characters: The first denotes if it is a straight (S), inside
corner (I) or outside corner (O). The 2nd denotes front (F) or back (B) or is
"x" if it is neither/irrelevant. The 3rd then if left (L), right (R) or neither
(x).

PNG image

The parts of a particular kind of wall (stone, wood, etc.) are grouped in a
folder. Adding that to the individual filenames is therefore redundant.
Finally, if there are variations of certain parts, then "_variation-name" can
be appended.

E.g.:

 +- wall
       +- stone
              +- out-SBx.png
              +- out-SBx_cracked.png
              +- out-SBx_double_with_window.png
              +- ...

What do you think?

Btw, you can find a Gimp XCF of the image (with each wall part as an individual
layer) here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20733092/adonthell/inner_floor_parts.xcf

        - James