adaldap-devel

[Adaldap-devel] pervade

From: Hilda Riddle
Subject: [Adaldap-devel] pervade
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 07:04:44 -0700

Now, the baking heat of summer was upon them; and Elsa seldom left thehouse. His first feeling was one of utter rebellion. His meals were coldscraps, served at odd times; his bed remained unmade, his bootsuncleaned.
Without even ordinary domestic tasks to fill them, Elsas days grew everlonger and drearier. He was still deeplymoved; it would be many a day before his heart healed of its wounds.
For, on entering the house, hefound himself in a scene of wild confusion. And he grew rounder and ruddierthan before. And between her and her sister-in-law, reallyhearty relations never established themselves. Between the second and the third cry,there was almost time to fall asleep again. Wives of a briefer standing frankly envied her the title.
For now she had to sing: there was nokeeping back the tunes that rose to her lips. Dear me, so I am, ejaculated the Professor, and made this an excuse tohurry from the room.
Without even ordinary domestic tasks to fill them, Elsas days grew everlonger and drearier. With words that fitted these, and appropriate doll-like gestures.
What had it ever done for her, but robher?
She soon learnt her lesson, and became an adept at excusing herself.
Dear me, so I am, ejaculated the Professor, and made this an excuse tohurry from the room. Other women bore children without this mercilessado. His meals were coldscraps, served at odd times; his bed remained unmade, his bootsuncleaned.
She grew uncertain in temper: sulked, would not speak when spoken to.
Still more startled was she by Annemaries sudden dash from theroom, and the click of a turned key. It began with her catching herself listening for an infants cry.
Dear me, so I am, ejaculated the Professor, and made this an excuse tohurry from the room.
If they went farther afield, she rode in a bath-chair,which was pushed by an old, one-eyed man. She soon learnt her lesson, and became an adept at excusing herself.
And thethoughts that darted through her brain in answer were dark and unwifely. There was a good reason why she had not married, at marrying-time.