ada-mode-users

[Ada-mode-users] Performance of ada_mode_wisi_lr1_parse.exe vs. abort st

From: Ludovic Brenta
Subject: [Ada-mode-users] Performance of ada_mode_wisi_lr1_parse.exe vs. abort statements
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 18:43:52 +0100

Hello,

Philippe has made some measurements of the performance
of ada_mode_wisi_lr1_parse.exe under callgrind and found
that approximately 10% of CPU time is spent in instructions
perparing for a possible abort statement.  I tried recompiling
ada_mode_wisi_lr1_parse.exe with the following configuration
pragmas and found a minor speed improvement but there is
indeed an abort statement preventing us from applying pragma
No_Abort_Statements.  I have a couple of questions about this.

First of all, does this affect both parsers?

Second, is there a way to redesign the affected parser(s) not
to use an abort statement?  If so, the pragma would buy us
an immediate 10% performance boost.

Here are the configuration pragmas I applied; they come from
lengthy research to optimize the performance of our main
application:

pragma No_Heap_Finalization;
pragma Restrictions (No_Initialize_Scalars);
-- pragma Restrictions (No_Abort_Statements); -- violated at wisitoken-parse-lr-mckenzie_recover.adb:204:16
pragma Restrictions (Max_Asynchronous_Select_Nesting => 0);
pragma Restrictions (No_Asynchronous_Control);
pragma Restrictions (No_Dynamic_Priorities);

--
Ludovic Brenta.