ada-mode-users

Re: [Ada-mode-users] Ada mode 5.2.2 released

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Ada-mode-users] Ada mode 5.2.2 released
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 15:02:50 -0500

Simon Wright <address@hidden> writes:

> On 13 Jul 2017, at 14:50, Stephen Leake <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Ada mode 5.2.2 is now available in GNU ELPA.
>
> Thanks for this.

You're welcome.

> MTN needs an update, too.

Apparently I have since fixed that.

> I found that ada_mode_gps_indent.gpr needs the same fix as
> gpr_query.gpr, and then builds and works fine.

Ok.

> It'd be nice if the choice of whether to 'with "gnatcoll_xref"' could
> be automated. I can't see a way of doing that (other than by a trial
> build, which might be felt to be inefficient).

Hmm. build/Makefile inherits GNAT_VERSION from the environment, with no
default. I set that manually in my ~/.emacs, depending on which version
I'm working with.

We should be able to compute it from 'gnat --version'.

In addition, I just realized the instructions in ada-mode.info fail for
building gpr_query in ~/.emacs.d/elpa; they don't create gpr_query.gpr.
And the info menu structure is wrong.

>From reading the gnat user guide, it appears gprbuild cannot run
gnatprep to create a .gpr file, at least not without providing a
gprbuild xml file to teach it how. So I need a script of some sort.

POSIX shell seems a good choice; Linux and Mac have it, and Windows
users can get it via Cygwin or MSYS. That can also compute the gnat
version from `gnat --version`.

On the other hand, gprbuild xml files are not that hard to figure out,
and can extract strings from command results. So I'll try that first.

All this means I need another release. I should have bumped the second
digit; this release should have been 5.3.0, So the next will be 5.3.1.

And the next will (hopefully) be 6.0.0, with a new indentation engine
(Now Improved!) and error recovery in the parser.

--
-- Stephe