ac-archive-maintainers

Re: multiple @syntax

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: multiple @syntax
Date: 24 Jan 2005 01:59:04 +0100

Tom Howard writes:

 > I propose we remove the obsoleted tag and add the
 > following macro

 > AX_OBSOLETE([MACRO_NAME],[WHEN],[DETAILS],[REPLACEMENT])

 > which prints out to the user that the macro is obsolete,
 > when it was made obsolete and if specified the details
 > and it's replacement. The doc generator would need to be
 > modified to pick this up, but other that that, what do
 > you think?

I think it is a very good idea. I was planning on going the
other way round, I wanted to add an

  AC_OBSOLETE (THIS-MACRO-NAME, [SUGGESTION])

call to the source which is generated from the reason given
at @obsoleted.

Inserting stuff into the m4 source would be much more
difficult to get right than reading stuff out of the m4
source, so I am all for it.

Could you put together the appropriate AX_OBSOLETE macro you
have in mind and post it here? Plus some example of how it
is used? Then I would see to it that the formatting engine
can handle it.

By the way, I personally would omit the WHEN parameter. The
user probably doesn't care much about that date, and the
archive has this information in the @version tag already,
therefore I wouldn't repeat it in that call.

Peter